Create a Basic Table Report (SSRS Tutorial)
In this tutorial, you use the Report Designer tool in Visual Studio / SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT). You create a SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) paginated report. The report contains a query table, created from data in the AdventureWorks2016 database.
As you progress in this tutorial, you're going to learn how to:
- create a report project.
- set up a data connection.
- define a query.
- add a table data region.
- format the report.
- group and total fields.
- preview the report.
- optionally publish the report.
Your system must have the following components installed to take this tutorial:
- Microsoft SQL Server database engine.
- SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services or later (SSRS).
- The AdventureWorks2016 database. For more information, see Adventure Works Sample Databases.
- SQL Server Data Tools for Visual Studio along with the Reporting Services extension installed to enable access to the Report Designer.
You must also have read-only permissions to retrieve data from the AdventureWorks2016 database.
Estimated time to complete the tutorial: 30 minutes.