What's new for SQL Server 2017 on Linux
Applies to: SQL Server (all supported versions) - Linux
This article describes the major features and services available for SQL Server 2017 running on Linux.
In addition to these capabilities in this article, cumulative updates are released at regular intervals. These cumulative updates provide many improvements and fixes. For detailed information about the latest CU release, see https://aka.ms/sql2017cu. For package downloads and known issues, see the Release notes.
Ubuntu 18.04 supported
Starting with SQL Server 2017 CU20, Ubuntu 18.04 is now supported. Check out our Quickstart on Installing SQL Server and creating a database on Ubuntu.
RHEL 8 supported
Starting with SQL Server 2017 CU20, RHEL 8 is now supported. Check out our Quickstart on Installing SQL Server and creating a database on Red Hat.
SQL Server Database Engine
- Enabled the core SQL Server Database Engine capabilities.
- Support for native Linux paths.
- IPV6 support.
- Support for database files on NFS.
- Enabled Transport Layer Security (TLS) encryption.
- Enabled Active Directory Authentication.
- Availability Groups functionality for high availability.
- Full-text Search support.
SQL Server Agent
SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Ability to run SSIS packages on Linux. For more information, see Configure SQL Server Integration Services on Linux with ssis-conf.
- Command-line configuration tool, mssql-conf.
- Unattended installation support with environment variables.
- Cross-platform Visual Studio Code mssql-server extension.
- Cross-platform script generator, mssql-scripter.
- Cross-platform Dynamic Management View (DMV) monitor, DBFS tool.
To install SQL Server on Linux, use one of the following tutorials:
- Install on Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Install on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- Install on Ubuntu
- Run on Docker
- Provision a SQL VM in Azure
- Ideas for SQL: Have suggestions for improving SQL Server?
- Microsoft Q & A (SQL Server)
- DBA Stack Exchange (tag sql-server): Ask SQL Server questions
- Stack Overflow (tag sql-server): Answers to SQL development questions
- Reddit: General discussion about SQL Server
- Microsoft SQL Server License Terms and Information
- Support options for business users
- Contact Microsoft
- Additional SQL Server help and feedback
Submit and view feedback for