TFS 2017 | TFS 2015 | TFS 2013
Looking for REST APIS that support TFS 2018 or later versions? See the Azure DevOps REST API Reference.
api-version = 3.0-preview.1
Using on-premises: An earlier, and slightly different, version of this Release Management API is available in Team Foundation Server 2015 Update 2. To use, you must specify an API version of 2.2-preview.1.
Create a release definition
- Add one or more environments to release definition.
- Add tasks to each environment.
- Add approvals or make them automated, for each environment.
- Save release definition
Start a release
- Get the ID of the release definition that you want to use.
- Create a release.
- Get the ID of the release from the response so you can use it later.
- If required, abandon a release.
Get a release details
- Get a list of releases and find the ID of the release you're interested in.
- Get the details about the release.
- Get the approvals required for the release.
For each environment where the application is being deployed, you can have pre-deployment or post-deployment approvals. If you are one of the approvers, you will get an approval request which you can accept or reject based on some criteria.