Purchase and assign Power BI Pro user licenses
This article is for administrators. To upgrade to a Power BI Pro license, go to Get started with Power BI Pro to set up your account.
This article explains how to purchase Power BI Pro user licenses in the Microsoft 365 admin center. After purchasing, you can assign licenses to users from either the Microsoft 365 admin center or the Azure portal.
Power BI Pro is an individual user license that lets users read and interact with reports and dashboards that others have published to the Power BI service. Users with this license can share content and collaborate with other Power BI Pro users. Only Power BI Pro users can publish or share content with other users or use content that's created by others, unless a Power BI Premium capacity hosts that content. For more information about the available types of licenses and subscriptions, including Premium Per User (PPU) licenses, see Power BI licensing in your organization.
Self-service purchase, subscription, and license management capabilities for Power Platform products (Power BI, Power Apps, and Power Automate) are available for commercial cloud customers. For more information:
- To purchase and assign licenses in the Microsoft 365 admin center, you must be a member of the Global or Billing admin role in Microsoft 365.
- To assign licenses in the Azure portal, you must be an owner of the Azure subscription that Power BI uses for Azure Active Directory lookups.
Purchase licenses in Microsoft 365
To Purchase Power BI Pro licenses in the Microsoft 365 admin center:
- Sign in to the Microsoft 365 admin center.
- On the navigation menu, select Billing, and then select Purchase services.
- Search for Power BI or select Power BI from the View by category section.
- Scroll to Power BI Pro, and select Details.
- Select the number of licenses you want to purchase.
- Under Select billing frequency, select if you want to be billed monthly or annually. An annual commitment is required.
- Select Buy.
- On the Checkout page:
- Verify your organization and contact information.
- Enter payment information, and then select Save.
- Review your order information.
- Select Place order.
- To verify your purchase, on the navigation menu, select Billing, and then select Your Products.
- To add licenses, from Billing, select Licenses.
To receive an invoice instead of using a credit card or bank account, work with your Microsoft Reseller or go through the Volume Licensing Service Center to add or remove licenses. For more information, see Manage subscription licenses.
Assign licenses from the Microsoft 365 admin center
For information about assigning licenses from the Microsoft 365 admin center, see Assign Microsoft 365 licenses to users.
For guest users, see Use the licenses page to assign licenses to users. Before assigning Pro licenses to guest users, contact your Microsoft account representative to make sure you're in compliance with the terms of your agreement.
Assign licenses in the Azure portal
Follow these steps to assign Power BI Pro licenses to individual user accounts:
- Sign in to the Azure portal.
- Search for and select Azure Active Directory.
- Select View under Manage Azure Active Directory.
- In the navigation pane, under Manage, select Licenses.
- Select All products.
- Select Power BI Pro, and then select + Assign.
- On the Assign license page, select a user or select + Add users and groups. Add users.
- Select Assignment options and set both options to On.
- Select Review + Assign, and then select Assign.
More questions? Try asking the Power BI Community